1. Skip to navigation
  2. Skip to content
  3. Skip to sidebar

How do I determine zoning on a property?
To find out the zoning district in which your property is located, locate your property on the color coded zoning map.

What Does the Planning and Zoning Commission?
The Planning and Zoning Commission considers land use issues and performs additional duties related to consideration of zoning and sign variance requests. In addition, the commission maintains the Village's Master Plan -- a blueprint of future growth needs. The 7-member commission forwards recommendations to the Village Board on zoning, land use and subdivision requests. Members are appointed by the Mayor and serve 3-year staggered terms.

What is a variance?
A variance allows the Village to grant relief from certain code requirements. Click here for Forms & Applications.

What is a Public Hearing?
The public is afforded an opportunity to express their views on topics before the Planning and Zoning Commission and give evidence in support of those views. The Planning and Zoning Commission uses this input when making recommendations that are then forwarded to Village Trustees for consideration

What is Special Use?
A special use is a use which is generally compatible with the other land uses permitted in a zoning district but which, because of its unique characteristics or potential impacts on the surrounding neighborhood and the Village as a whole, requires individual consideration of its locations, design, configuration, and/or operation at the particular location proposed. A special use can only be approved subject to the use meeting all of the standards and conditions imposed upon it by the Zoning Ordinance. See Village Code section 10-15-5 for approval of a special use and the procedures for Special Use approval. Special Uses require a public hearing with the Planning and Zoning Commission and must have final approval from the Board of Trustees.

What is a Planned Unit Development (PUD)?
A Planned Unit Development is an area of minimum size, as specified by the Zoning Ordinance, to be planned, developed, operated and maintained as a single entity under unified ownership or control, containing one or more principal buildings to accommodate one or more permitted uses or special uses as allowed by the underlying zoning district provisions.

How do I find out if my property is in a flood plain or flood zone?
To find out if your property is located in a flood plain or flood zone go to http://www.fema.gov/hazzard/map/flood.shtm, click “find a flood map online.” Go to “product search by address” select “public flood map,” type in your address, and click “product search.” Click “view” to view the flood map of your area. You can also contact the Village if you have farther questions. 

Click here to return to the Planning and Zoning Division

Click here to return to the Community Development Homepage